Wednesday, May 21, 2008

May 21, 2008

After a two hour delay at O’Hare due to a mechanical issue, Caroline and I settled into seats E and F of Row 54 for the 15 hour flight to Shanghai. With the exception of the stereotypical “ugly American tourist” (loud, obnoxious, complainer, had to have things her way) sitting next to me, the flight was non-descript; good food, fair movies, and plenty of sleep.

As we boarded the plane, we noticed a number of Asian families with infants boarding with us. It was, in a sense, at least for me, a defining moment of the journey Caroline and I are embarking on; when next we board a 747, we will do so with Ellie, our Asian daughter. Walking the aisle of that huge plane, seeing all the Asian infants and toddlers brought a measure of clarity that what had three years ago been a dream, was soon to become a reality. Even our guide, Ian, and his driver, shuttling us from the airport to the hotel was able to acknowledge the significance of our travel in China. Ian told us what a wonderful deed we were doing for one of their children. He also added that his wife has expressed a desire to adopt one of the thousand of newly orphaned infants due to last week’s earthquake.

The more that I’m blessed to travel this world, I’m reminded over and over, we as a global village and as people of humanity share more in common than the differences that seem to divide us. We are all participants in caring for the global village.

God’s peace and love,

Brad

1 comment:

alberta-jo said...

My heart is full of the love I feel for you both. So many have been praying for this day. I can't imagine what you must be feeling right now. Your memory book of Ellie is filling fast. Safe trip.

Let the Son Shine,
alberta-jo